Thursday, March 26, 2009

WRITE ON REGARDLESS

There's a car race in the U.P. over by Houghton called P.O.R. Stands for Press On Regardless. No matter the mud hole, no matter the break downs, no matter the weather, the race goes on and the racers press on, regardless. It is sort of like the Baja 1000. You gotta go and you gotta run what you brung. So it is with writing. Last January 8th I started another Dave Davecki novel. Death by Cadillac. I "finished" it a couple of weeks ago because I was bored and frustrated with the story. But this morning, I opened the file again and started "fixing" things. After a time away from the story, the tale was fun again. I'm reading the chapters out loud into my laptop and playing them back to listen to the sound of the sentences, to see if the flow is smooth and easy to digest. It's fun to discover awkward sentences and unlikely dialogue and entertaining to "fix" them up. So it is with writing, no matter the mud hole of boredome, no matter the frustration of first drafting, no matter the doubt about the suitability of the sentences, you gotta go back to writing and you gotta run what you brung. Remember, a blank page can't be edited. Keep Writing.

2 comments:

chicagocandy said...

Love this post. Great advice! And happy to hear Davecki's back in action.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ann, I'll try to be pithy and wise and funny...and sometimes stupid. It's all great fun. I was listening to John LeCarre' read his "Taylor of Panama" this morning as I'm reading my new Davecki novel to myself and listening back. WOW! What a difference between LeCarre' and me. He's a real talented guy. I know Davecki and Superior are way different from LeCarre's stuff, but the writing...awesome. No wonder he's so popular. All we can do as writers is keep on keeping on. What's the old WWII battlefield saying? "I just keep shooting and let God sort out the rest."