Friday, March 6, 2009

HONORING BOOKS AND AUTHORS

I'm finding the newspaper content here in Ireland to be much more literary in slant. It's also more informal and it is more...what can I say...vulgar? Earthy? Bare breasted women on page two could be called earthy I suppose. Using fuck on page one but ***in out cocksucker in the same paragraph could be called earthy I suppose. I've also seen that books have higher regard over here. I'm attending a book festival in Ennis and it seems there is a lot of devotion to the book...the non-electric kind. (Kindle's got its work cut out for it here.) I'm guessing there is more devotion to the book in NYC than there is in Superior, Wisconsin where the last word in the state is SIN, so I can't complain too much when I feel like my corner of the world eschews books for beer. But it is nice to be in a society where authors and books are more revered than cheese and brats. Though, one downside to the reverence is the faint aroma of snobbery now and then. All in all though, it is fun to be living and moving and having breath in a more book oriented, word oriented society. Keep writing.

2 comments:

Judith-Ann said...

Hey Mikey!

I hear what you're saying. Even my little jaunt last week to the east coast (okay, south east) generated the same feeling.

I found myself impressed by the caliber of offerings for funding public television there. Numerous authors presenting great shows with books, tapes and extras for increasing levels of donation.

Back home, our local public television is offering cook books (C is for Cheese!) and pop music collections.

Becca said...

Mike,

This is Judith's youngest daughter. I was on her blog today, and from there I stumbled upon yours. I plan on telling her how outraged I am that she never mention your blog to me.

I enjoyed this post, and I hope all is well with you!