Friday, April 18, 2008

Impressive Young Authors

Had a wonderful morning "teaching" a writing workshop to middle school students. Teaching is in quotes because they taught me more than I taught them. There were seven in my section. A couple of these kids were genuis. All of them had been published in the workshop anthology. They all read their work and spoke honestly about their feelings regarding writing and the particular piece they read. One was fearful of being misunderstood. One was impatient with the assignment. One explained how his mind went back and forth while writing and that he had to go back and move stanzas around to make it more orderly. There were about 100 kids in attendance and I'm guessing they were all as talented as those in our section. It was a totally energizing morning and really met my need for inspiration.

No comments: