Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Irish Weather




Interesting factoids about Ireland:


1.) For four days here in Cottage 10 it was warmer inside the refrigerator than in the living room.


2.) The shipyards in Belfast produced 22,000 ships in the four years of WWII.


3.) There are a lot of Savages in County Down. A lot. Most of them are dead.


4.) I've come up with a rather plausible epitataph for my gravestone: "He was widely tolerated by many and barely tolerated by those who knew him well."


5.) Ireland's surface area is smaller than Lake Superior, not by much, but certifiably fewer hectares in Ireland than on the Big Lake.
6.) Ireland's water table is predominantly above ground, residing mostly above ground and between the low gray clouds scudding past off the ocean at 600 feet.
7.) Irish pastries are damn near worth moving here. Not grossly sweet, delicate, deserving.

3 comments:

Judith-Ann said...

. . . and fairly tolerated by those who loved him.

Kiss the Blarney Stone for me . . . or if that shant happen, kiss a fair lass and think of me.

Anonymous said...

Ah, genes. Way at the Cork for me. One of my clan ventured westward in days gone by to come to Canuckistan with seven other lads.
Thanks to finding a woman who would have him my newer ancestors found time to survive the rough New World- lucky New World (with running water and electricity) got me in the deal.

chicagocandy said...

When asked why he didn't bend over backwards to kiss the Blarney stone, my dad, Chris, said, "I've got enough blarney in me already." You listed some great factoids. That's a lot of ships that were produced. Wow.

We've got a great Irish bakery in town - a bit less expensive than taking a trip across the pond.