Monday, March 10, 2008

WHEN PUBLISHING FAILS

Got this email this morning...

Hello Mike

I had an interesting experience last week. I was flying out of the Duluth airport and I noticed a sign in the gift shop window promoting some of your books. I eagerly looked to see if you had finally come through and done some marketing for Carl's book, and yet again, was disappointed in your lack of initiative in doing your part of the marketing. The whole process of working "with you" has been a complete disappointment.

We have waited since the book came off the press for you to do your 50%...even 25%...or maybe 10% of the promo.

A friend had a book published and from the kickoff party, to the many press releases, book signings, and interviews all arranged by his publisher, I have kicked myself for being impressed by your "laid back" attitude....I now equate it to laziness.

I am so proud of Carl for being trusting and patient with you throughout...I on the other hand have lost all respect for you.

Debbie

...sometimes publishing a book fails everyone involved.

2 comments:

chicagocandy said...

Man, that's brutal...the way I see it, you write a book and publish it because you think others will enjoy the story or it has something to offer. Serious writers don't write just to make a million dollars or get on Oprah's Book Club list, they write for the love of it. They're lucky to be published at all in the competitive book market in the U.S.

Mindy said...

Wow...That certainly isn't a warm fuzzy. I don't think many people understand how tough the publishing field is, especially for independents. I'm only beginning to see that myself. Personally, I'm thankful for all the work Savage Press has done in not just getting my book published, but also helping to promote it. Authors have to do their own promotion too... Sometimes comes as a shock when you realize if you want to be a professional author you can't just sit in your room and put out the pages and expect that to be enough.
Mindy Braun